What kind of licenses & registrations are needed?


  • Register your Business Name with the county Register of Deeds. The form is available here or call your county offices.
  • Patents and Trademarks: Information is available from the Federal government’s Patents & Trademark Office.
  • Privilege License: Blue Ridge Food Ventures is located within the Asheville city limits and a privilege license may be required if doing business in Asheville. Apply at the Asheville City Hall Building or call 828.259.5595.
  • Sales Tax ID Number: Register for your sales tax ID number at the local office of the North Carolina Department of Revenue, 2800 Heart Drive, Asheville, NC 28806 (located in the business park behind Biltmore Square Mall). The form is available here or may also be obtained at Blue Ridge Food Ventures.


Everyone producing a packaged food product for sale MUST register with the Food & Drug Administration. The Public Health Security and Bioterrorism Preparedness and Response Act of 2002 (the Bioterrorism Act) requires domestic and foreign facilities that manufacture, process, pack, or hold food for human or animal consumption in the United States to register with the FDA.

You are encouraged to register online with the FDA as soon as you are in business producing food products. Exemptions to this requirement are also found on that website.

You must also register as a food producer at Blue Ridge Food Ventures. Use this instruction sheet for registering with the FDA as a food producer at Blue Ridge Food Ventures. Note: You must follow this format exactly! If done incorrectly, it can cause a problem with the main facility registration (and we won’t be happy!). Contact us if you have problems or questions.

Back to FAQ page.