What kind of insurance do I need?

Insurance coverage is an important piece of any business operation, particularly food businesses. General liability is protection, including legal defense, from claims against you and your company alleging bodily injury or property damage to others because of your activities.

Product liability insurance, a component of general liability, is particularly important to food producers. Product liability coverage provides protection against claims resulting from foodborne illness or injury. Many retail stores and distributors require this insurance before they will handle your product.


Here’s what Blue Ridge Food Ventures requires:

  • Proof of $2 million of coverage and $1 million in product liability, per occurance, for each producer using our facility.
  • Blue Ridge Food Ventures should be named on the policy as “Additionally Insured” to broaden our protection under your coverage.

Back to FAQ page